Sunday, March 4, 2012

Change


Change is everywhere.  It’s really the only constant thing that's going on around us.  For as much as we want things to stay the same, it doesn’t.  Time will continue to march on.  Our jobs may change, our friends change over time, relationships evolve, etc.  I posted on Facebook recently, “Sometimes we try to force things, but we really need to just let it go.”  And my friend, Katy, commented, “Best thing to do, yes….easiest, no”.  So true, I agree.  But we tend to torture ourselves over and over again (myself included), trying to will things to go in a certain direction.  Many times, things will turn out as we hoped.  Other times, maybe not.  Sometimes, we all have trouble dealing with change.
As I was thinking about this, I remembered a sermon from Jeff Jones, amazing pastor at Chase Oaks Church, who gave a wonderful sermon and talked about how we should pray to “journey well” in life.  It was a refreshing way to think and pray.  To not always pray things go a certain way, but to pray that you journey well.  He told a story of a friend who had been diagnosed with cancer and when his friends gathered around him, they prayed for healing of his cancer.  He stopped them and said, “Wait, when you’re not with me it’s fine to pray for my healing, but when you’re with me just pray that I journey well. I just want to journey well.”  

One of my favorite scriptures for dealing with change:
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding.”  Proverbs 3:5

We don’t have all the answers, and aren’t supposed to.  He does.  We need to trust in Him that he knows what’s best for us and will never give us more than we can bear.
Although change is all around us, let us know in our heart that one thing will not change. We will always be loved by God.  As long as we keep that at our core, then everything else will be fine, come what may.

No comments:

Post a Comment